One of Ken's defining traits was his kindness to others. I remember when he was in Doyne Hospital over a decade ago recovering from bypass surgery, that one of the maintenance ladies stopped in to offer best wishes-she told me that he was always one to help many others, and she hoped that others would help him in return. At the time, Doyne Hospital was soon to be closed. Many staff had already left for other jobs, leaving much more work for the folks remaining. I was deeply moved that she took time to look in on him, when her life was so hectic and uncertain. I think it says so much about him and his life.
In that spirit, if you feel moved to remember Ken by a memorial, may we suggest two charities that help others in the way that Ken would appreciate?
Repairers of the Breach (help for homeless men)
P.O. Box 13791,
Milwaukee, WI 53213
Red Cloud Indian School (high school with a strong college prep program for Lakota Sioux students)
Pine Ridge Reservation,
100 Mission Dr.,
Pine Ridge, SD, 57770
redcloudschool.org.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment